William Rolland Gallery of Fine Art

About the Gallery

William Rolland Gallery interior

The William Rolland Gallery of Fine Art, located adjacent to the William Rolland Stadium, opened in October 2011 with an exhibit of bronze statuary and paintings from the collection of William Rolland. Since then the gallery has featured such exhibits as: Western Salon featuring sculptures and paintings from the Bob Eubanks and William Rolland Collections; Resonating Images I 1900-1950 featuring representational masterpiece paintings, drawings and prints from the first half of the 20th century; and Resonating Images II, exhibiting representational works by modern and contemporary masters including Chuck Close, Fernando Botero, and Picasso. Exhibitions rotate approximately 4-5 times a year.

The Gallery also hosts a parallel educational series of events. The specific events vary by exhibition, but typically include foreign language tours and lectures by professionals in the visual arts. Curator- or docent-led tours are available for free; we request that you make reservations beforehand.

For-credit, paid, and unpaid internships are available. Internships are designed to give students the opportunity to gain experience working in a university, museum-standards gallery setting.

Each spring semester, curator Rachel Schmid offers a course called Arts Management and Museology (ART-4ST-06) in which students curate an exhibit in the Rolland Gallery at the culmination of semester’s studies.

For information about the gallery’s exhibitions, tours, or internships please contact us.


About the Collector

William Rolland

William Rolland

Rolland started as a collector in the mid-1950s, purchasing a 500 pound bronze sculpture of a boy on an electrical generator by turn-of-the-century German sculptor Hugo Kaufmann, a tribute to Germany’s power industry.

In addition to bronzes – including some large, muscular sculptures from the Collection of Elizabeth Taylor – the collection has Murano glass, oil and watercolor paintings, winning Indianapolis racing cars from three eras, and other high-performance cars. Additional curiosities include a letter penned by Mark Twain.

The gallery retains a part of the collection, which Rolland and his wife Kay Green are still assembling. He intends to donate it to Cal Lutheran over time.